Web server configuration
1. Download the latest tomcat.
- The version in this case is 9.0.6
2. Create the following directory –
3. Paste the tomcat package directory inside the MyWebsites directory
4. Rename the package to the directory name of the website
|This directory will serve the website|
5. Download jdk -
This step is not necessary depending on how java is installed on the machine. I prefer deploy java in this manner.
6. Deploy jdk in the following directory –
7. Create setenv.bat file and place it in the \bin directory. Specify the java home in the file.
8. Create an index.html file and drop it in the following directory –
9. Run the startup.bat in the \bin directory
|Running startup.bat will show the environment variables|
10. Access localhost:8080 in the browser
1. Gather the internal IP address of the machine that is running the tomcat server –
2. Open the router configuration page and find the port forwarding settings. This can be typically accessed at 192.168.0.1
3. Add a new rule for forwarding http traffic to port 8080
4. Go to http://canyouseeme.org/
5. Type in the port and click on the Check Port button
Namecheap host record configuration
1. Go to http://whatismyip.com and take note of the external IP address (also known as the WAN IP)
2. Go to Advanced DNS configuration
3. In the host records section, create the following:
- Type: A record; Host: @; Value: <external-ip>; TTL: Automatic
- Type: URL Redirect Record; Host: www; Value: http://<domain>:8080 Masked META (We use this record because www.domain-name.com will be redirected, and “work” in the browser)
The record for the wildcard exists for creating virtual hosts in Tomcat, which I will cover in a later document.
Problems I encountered
I have a Netgear C6300BD, and the router is running Firmware Version V2.05.18
It turns out that this particular router does not support loopback functionality, therefore when you have port forwarding setup, accessing http://<external-ip>:8080 does not work from within the network.
The best to test if the setup is working is by accessing your website from outside the network, and the most convenient way to do this is through a mobile device with.