Here are the steps to setup a very simple website using xampp and a Namecheap domain.
1. Obtain your external IP addressGo to http://whatismyip.com and get "Your IP" address
|Take note of the external IP address|
2. Configure URL forwardingGo to the URL forwarding section in Namecheap domain configuration.
Now set the values for the IP Address/URL and Record type as follows -
A (Address) - Your IP
URL Frame - http://<your_ip>:8080/mysite
|URL Forwarding section in Namecheap domain configuration|
3. Obtain your internal IP addressOpen the command prompt window and type - ipconfig and hit enter
|Identify your network adapter and take note of IPv4 Address|
4. Configure port forwardingLog into the router configuration by going to this address in the browser - http://192.168.0.1/
Go to the Port Forwarding section, and add an entry to forward HTTP traffic for port 8080
|Router port forwarding configuration|
5. Configure Apache to serve on port 8080Open the Xampp control panel, and click on Configure and then on Apache (httpd.conf)
|XAMPP Control Panel|
|XAMPP Control Panel after listen port change|
6. Create your website directoryNow, create a folder called mysites in the server directory. The path will be as follows -
D:\Program Files (x86)\xampp\htdocs\mysite
|mysites folder in htdocs|
7. Access your websiteNow try accessing in the following URL in the browser -
|Website access on the local server|
Now access your Namecheap domain. For me, its www.patchrowcester.com. This should serve the index.html page in the server directory.
|Access website using domain name|