I started my first game of Aftermath on December 4, 2012, with a round of Scavenger on Azadi Palace. I was even quick even to get a screenshot of my first kill in Aftermath. This gentleman, happens to be my first victim.
|First kill in Aftermath|
So here are a few tips on playing scavenger mode for people like me, who are not the best shot with pistols. Keep in mind, some of these are very obvious, I don't pretend to have just discovered them. This is to help folks who are new to the game.
1. Choose a strong pistol that is very effective at close quarters and reasonable at short to medium range. I prefer MP443, even though M1911 does more damage. The magnums are do 50-60 damage in close range, but they are slow to reload, so I am not a fan of those, although I do use them every now and then. So for newbies, my recommendation is to start with either M1911 or MP443.
2. Use the tactical light on pistols. I found this to be effective at close range, and gives you the slight edge in some cases, and that might be all you need to get the kill.
3. Remember where the weapon spawns are. I started to get a lot better at the game once I figured out where the good weapons can be found. Getting your hands on level 3 weapon can sometimes change the outcome of the game.
4. Stick with your squad. I found myself getting killed a lot when going solo, simply because the other team was moving in groups. Its very unlikely to do any heavy damage when you have an entire squad firing on your position.
5. Do not be in a hurry to run and gun. Take your time. This isn't TDM. It won't take long before you bite the bullet if you don't watch the corners, especially because you maybe bringing a pistol to a machine gun fight.
6. If you are in an locked in an engagement with an enemy holding a machine gun, and all you got is a pistol, then run and take cover. If you are with your squad mates, someone or the other will surely get the enemy.
7. Conserve your ammo and be a little cautious when you get your hands on a level 3 weapon. There is nothing more frustrating than getting your hands on a M249B, and rushing into the fire zone and getting killed without even firing a shot. Take it a little easy.
8. The default size of the minimap may not be the best for you. I find it helpful to enlarge the size of the map. Hit 'M' to change the size, and 'N' to change the zoom level that is most comfortable to you.
9. Don't bother defending a capture point for too long. Chances are your squad mates have started to make their way to the next capture point, so if you choose to stay behind, even with a great weapon, you will soon be facing off a bunch of enemies, and that isn't going to end very well for you. Its better off playing in a cautious aggressive way and attacking points.
10. There are ammo boxes on the map. Figure out where they are use them to your advantage.
Most of these 'tips' are just some lessons I learned from my experience. I found that I did a lot better in the game if I followed these guidelines. Hopefully it will help you too.